Capacity Building for Smart Tourism and Sustainable Destinations
The Opale-Coast where EURAKOM is located is highly dependent on tourism and EURAKOM has been very active in developing sustainable tourism concepts. While doing this work we have discovered that digital tools exist but that efforts are not coordinated and as such do not provide the efficiency they could have. Professionals also often lack the skills to benefit from these tools and need guidance as to what can work in their context. Sustainability is a big theme and professionals are paying attention to this priority but they know little about how digital tools can lead to more sustainable tourism.
In today’s society the concern with the health of the planet constantly increases, especially the new crisis caused by Covid-19 pandemic that has made us reconsider our priorities and stake on the environment and has led us to take increased action in the fight against climate change. Eco credentials of tourism are becoming more important as sustainable tourism will be the new direction for the future development for all actors of the tourism ecosystem. Sustainable tourism will contribute to the local environments with concepts of green/smart consumption activities, to promote local products and sites as well as achieve social responsibility, economic development and ecological sustainability of the realm.
- Organisational capacity building of local/regional tourism professionals to build resilience, provide safe tourism experiences/destinations through the use of digital tools;
- Increase awareness about the need for advanced digital skills and increased stakeholders’ connectivity to ensure more sustainable tourism;
- Offer concrete practices and increase the uptake of existing digital tools used by professionals/stakeholder of the tourism ecosystem to develop smarter/more sustainable destinations;
- Encourage tourism SMEs/professionals, public authorities, agencies to invest in digital skills development and digital tools for better interoperability;
- Raise awareness of the advantages of sustainable tourism for business/community/environment;
- Encourage tourism stakeholders to invest in the upskilling/reskilling staff;
- Help tourism professionals understand the environmental impact of their choices and how to support a more resilient tourism economy;
- Support business & public authorities in the development/promotion of more environmentally sustainable destinations.
- SMART & SUSTAINABLE Tourism Practices
- SMART Practice Manual
- SMART Workshops
- SMART Campaign for Digital and Sustainable Tourism Destinations
- Professionals working in the tourism sector: SMEs/tourism organisations, tourist offices, tourism ecosystem stakeholders interested in destination management and sustainable tourism destinations
- VET and adult education providers in the sector of tourism & hospitality,
- education centres,
- community organisations,
- Training professionals involved in the travel and tourism sector
- EURAKOM SASU www.eurakom.eu – France
- GREEN VILLAGE G.K. TRIANTAFYLLOU IKE – https://www.greenvillage.gr -Greece
- DOMSPAIN SLU www.domspain.eu – Spain